Our recommendation for personal effects / household goods shipments: obtain a TOTAL LOSS policy for a cost of about 1% of your valuation of the goods. Damage policies are going to be subject to adjustments for depreciation and deductibles which will frequently exceed the value of a claim. Most companies will not insure used personal effects or used household goods.Providers:
- Ramon International Insurance Brokers: $50.00 minimum
- P.A.F. Shipping Insurance: $80.00 minimum
- Gobal Insurance Network: $100.00 minimum
- insureCARGO.com: - will not insure household goods or personal effects
- U-PIC Insurance Services: - parcels and freight, but not international ocean vessel shipments
- Shipsurance: will require a "recent appraisal" or "commercial invoice" if you have a claim, so this is not an effective option for a household goods load. You could for example insure a partial or piece of a household goods load as in a high value item that you had purchased and still had the receipt or went to the trouble of having appraised.